Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Festival of Trees



Joe took a week off of work at the first of December to help with the baby, and one of those days I NEEDED to leave the house so we packed up the kiddos and headed over to the festival of trees. We had never been and honestly did not really know what it was, just that it was a cheap way to spend a day out of the cold. What a great day! This was not your ordinary showing of beautiful trees. Although beauty did abound. This was spectacular, gingerbread houses lined four rows, isles and isles of wreaths (which we did not see due to screaming kids), more trees than I have ever seen in one place. All of which were being auctioned off to the highest bidder to benefit Primary Children's hospital. A place where my younger brother spent most of his childhood in and out of the nuero surgery O.R.  This is a place any child can go and receive care, weather or not they have the ability to pay. A place where you can receive the best care and be treated with kindness and respect. And now I am announcing for next years festival.. A tree for Matthew. We envision a tree full of Lego's, and airplanes and airplanes made out of Lego's, flying around it somehow. We have started by writing our letter requesting to participate and hope to hear we will be in soon! Now we just need to go shopping and get our tree. Then I will be writing to the Lego, matchbox and hot wheels company's for donations. Anyone who is interested in participating let me know. It will be an awesome way to give back to a place that has done so much for so many not just my own family (which it has helped more than words can say) but for anyone who needs them. 

Here are a few of my favorite things from our visit this year!

Okay I am not into twilight, but for those who are this tree was cool. The gifts under it were for all of the characters from the book that matched there personalities. It was pretty cool.

 The marshmallow tree, every ornament was made out of marshmallow's
A train set at the back, of course we were there for more than 10 minutes. 
PINK!! Need I say more?
This was a hand carved tree, that had marbles running through it. Seriously the coolest thing ever. The man it was made for had passed away this year and his family did this to honor his love of woodworking. 
Salt Lake Temple out of gingerbread!
LOVE IT!!!!

I could have posted about 50 more pictures but for lack of space and a crying baby I will have to end here. Hope you enjoy!

1 comments:

S'mee said...

Wow. I had no idea there was anything remotely close to this! This is the kind of auction I can get behind! I may not be able to donate any money per se, however if you need help decorating the darned thing...I'm your gal! I'll keep my eyes open for Lego's and such! Wooohoo!