Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Plant a Garden






This year way back in Spring we panted a community garden with some of the lady's in my ward. I rode along to the nursery with my friend Kristen, she has been doing a garden every year since she was a kid. She was going to teach me, so we went and picked some plants that had already been started. She said that would be easier for us to do. We picked four kinds of peppers, six tomato plants, cantaloupe, water melon, pumpkin, yellow squash, and zucchini. It was so much fun to plant them with my kids. They helped dig the little holes and then we went over ever other day to water and weed. I don't think my kiddos really understood what was happening until things started to grow. And grow they did. We had a huge pumpkin before we had anything else. Kristen talked to a farmer she knows who sells pumpkin and he told us to cut it off because it was too soon and it would suck all of he nutrients out of the vine and we would not get any more starts. Anyway these pictures are from about a month ago when things first started to really appear. I will have to put up more pictures of what has come up now.  It has been so much fun. I have decided I will be growing a garden every year. The taste of the tomato's alone is worth all of the effort. And who knew I love zucchini. 

6 comments:

Lisa M. said...

I am a huge fan of gardening. I really think a community garden is a wonderful idea. Good for you.

I love zucchini as well.

The pictures are fantastic.

I'm so glad you are back-

What a good Mum you are, to have your kids learn at your side.

I love that-

The Jones's said...

I can't wait until we don't live in Apartments any longer and we will have our own garden. Joseph grew up on a lot of land, and loves yard work and gardening. I love fresh produce, too. You just can't get it from the store. Hope you enjoy your yummy produce! So jealous!

Robyn said...

How fun is that?!! Your kids are now going to want to have one every year. WHich, is a good thing. I remember when we lived at Wymount while at BYU we had a community garden in the field where the Foreign Language building is now. The tomatoes were fab!

I look forward to seeing your pictures. And, I hope fall holds off long enough to get a good crop!

The Pea said...

Robyn- We have had some good stuff already and today, after I posted, and we are going to have to rip out a bunch because of frost already!! Oh well, It has been fun even if we don't get any more melons. I wil get more pics up soon.

S'mee said...

early frost? yikes. I am so jealous, I have wanted a garden for a very long time. $$$=water and too much clay have made the price of preparing the ground out of reach for me still. But I continue to plan!

The Pea said...

Good luck Smee --- it was so much fun!