Monday, October 27, 2008

Ora was tagged by her Aunt!























Everything you ever wanted to know about Ora Dawn Short....

Name and meaning: My first daughter has been Ora Dawn since I was like 12 or something. My Grandparents on my moms side are Ora and Donald Latimer and they are my rock! The day I figured I could turn both there names into one it was set. Truly anyone who has every met these two know how extremely special they are. Grandpa worked harder than anyone I know to raise his family and Grandma did as well. Together they had 9 daughters and a son. They brought these kids up to be the best they could be. When they were done raising there own children and enjoying the joy of grand parenthood tragedy struck. My mom lost her husband and oldest son to a car accident. Needless to say... THEY STEPPED UP BIG TIME. While my mom had to go back to work Grandma was there. When we moved to Las Vegas they followed shortly behind and were never very far away. Days I was sick were spent on grandmas couch eating all kinds of get well food. And I will admit I had grandpa's hibobolobous a few times just to eat! For about a year and a half Grandpa and I used to walk and talk early in the morning. He would tell me stories all about him and his life. I got to know and love him even more. 
I will make what is already a long story a little less long and say I was worried this name would be taken long ago I have almost 100 cousins and was sure someone else had figured this out by now. But she was a girl and the name was pegged down. It was mine. I went to grandma's house and told her the news "Don't do that, I just do not like my name" I could have burst into tears. I did not want to go against Grandma but I really wanted the name. So Grandma and I agreed she could be Lora Dawn. She was born and named and beautiful. Then about a month later we went to bless her and my husband spent the whole morning in dread! He did not want to offend Grandma but he just could not bring himself to name her Lora, when she is clearly Ora. 
So there you have Ora Dawn Short. If translated to Latin Ora - to pray, Dawn- the morning So She is to say :: a short prayer in the morning!

Age: 3 years 9 months

Nicknames : Dad calls her Donald, I call her Ora, Jordan calls her Ra, She titles herself Queen!

Favorite activities: Singing time with the family, Ballet time with mom, Painting, Dress up, Nail polish (is this really my child) make up, Hair do's... Seeing a pattern. She has taught me how to be a girly girl on a whole new level.

Favorite Foods: Salad!! She had this for breakfast yesterday *GROSS*, soup, carrots, celery, candy. cold I mean COLD , or Hot I mean HOT water.

Least favorite foods: The only thing she has ever turned down is tomatoes.

Favorite music: Her song is "I always have to steal my kisses from you" Smee gave me this on a CD I have no idea who sings it. She loves anything she can groove to. And of course songs from the LDS Children's songbook.

Favorite toys: Pony's, Dress up's. 

Favorite Books: How the Grinch stole Christmas, I love Ballet.

Favorite item of clothing: Anything with princesses on it. Anything pink. 

What makes her happy: 1.When my brothers be nice I love it. Daddy when we wash the dishes. 3. When you(mom) make popcorn I  happy a long time.

What makes her sad: When Michael do a bad thing I am sad. When Jordan Bite me. 

I tag Smee (your oldest boy,) if you want, I know you treasure your privacy! Rachel, on Rachel!!
The 1st daughter's Jace

5 comments:

Cristen said...

Thanks for that. I love the story of how you choose her name and thought everyone should know just how incredible you are to your kids down to the importance of choosing amazing names for them.

S'mee said...

mmmm'k, I'll play along, just on the sly...

and the song is by the fabulous Ben Harper. That little one sure has awesome taste!

Marlia said...

I too wanted to have a daughter named Ora Dawn from about the time I was 11 or 12 but I never did have an Ora. I love my children to death but that name truly deserves a special little girl and you have that in your daughter. My girls were just not meant to be named after her. I was hopeing I would have another chance but I decided after Nathan that I needed to stop and be a mom to the kids I had.

A Sharing Heart said...

You are so amazing! Thanks for sharing all about Ora. A very special girlwith a very special name and I am glad that you didn't go with Lora even though I love her too!

Anonymous said...

I am looking for a Donald Latimer that served in the Battle of Bouganville (Solomon Islands)in WWII, His home address at the time was Ottumwa Iowa. Is this your grandfather by chance?

William Watson
wil40@yahoo.com