Monday, January 05, 2009

Service MeMe

Smee has tagged me with an interesting idea. To write about a time I received service, A time I gave service and, a time I witnessed service being given. WoW! What a task. And what a fun idea. First off let me just say how much I love that Smee thought of me, she is seriously one of my favorite people in the world and her thinking of me to do this is an honor I am most willing to accept. Seriously Love you Smee!!


Growing up the way I did my family was constantly served by others. Be it the clothes we wore, I can think of outfits (mostly P.J.'s) that went through one of  my dear cousins then through all 3 girls at my house and then on t0 Aunt Nancy's kids and then again onto Lidz Loo. We all have pictures and it is so fun to remember the clothes. 
We stayed in a beautiful home for 18 months while a couple served there mission, it was so fun the whole house was still stuck in the late 60's. Cristen and I slept in a pink room,no kidding, pink shag carpet, hot pink walls, pink and orange and white flowered bedspreads. Ness slept in a yellow room with the most beautiful bead, we were all jealous. It had a net all the way round just like a princess would have. My moms room was yellow, the kitchen was lime green (tile, counter, appliances, the wallpaper had limes on it, and the lime tree was right out on the patio) Oddly enough Matthew slept in a blue, very normal room, with a handmade bed that had little cubby's all over it. You could hide things all around it and no one would no where they were. The white room was a room we were not allowed because of the beauty in there. And of course we did wander in there to touch the grand piano when no one was looking. The jungle room was fabulous, And the game room with it's purple pool table and coke machine was a must . 
I know my Uncles, Aunts, and Grandparents have stepped up many times to help out, I am sure I would never even be able to count all of the things my family has done for me! 
But my favorite service I ever had done to me was when we woke up Christmas morning one year to find new handmade quilts on our front porch! We all think that one of my Aunts (the bishops wife at the time) had mentioned that we could use them and the ward just got to work. We are no sure of where they came from but, that is our guess. I love thinking that someone thought to make me my sunflower quilt. They thought about it. They could have just gone to the fabric store and bought whatever was on sale but, they picked out a fabric they knew I would like. They did the same thing for all of us my mom included. The quilts were beautiful but the thought was what was the most special part of it. 

This past Christmas I got to watch as so many others came together to help out my ward here. I have been able to both participate and watch! When I plucked a few things off of the angel tree in the foyer I didn't hesitate because I do it every year. It is just a part of Christmas time for me and my family. But, when the gifts that another ward had donated to ours were stolen right out of the church parking lot, then it got personal. I felt this very deeply and had to work very hard at not allowing Satan to seep into my head and make me so mad it would ruin Christmas for me. I called up my mom in tears and tried to explain what had happened. And without so much as skipping a beat she donated a Christmas gift she and her husband had received in the form of cash to me and my ward. Then after we had hung up she called back a few minutes later and told me that My sister and her husband would like to hep out as well. So I waited a few days and when the money came I got to work. I was able to go and shop and replace ALL of the gifts that were stolen. After I was done shopping and while I was wrapping presents I got a call from my Brother's wife and she said she and Matt would like to help out as well. So we were able to go above and beyond the call asked and help out the ward that this year was in such need. 

So there you have it, my family and I have been able to come full circle. We have enjoyed the closeness we felt in coming together this year to help out others when we ourselves were brought together through the service of others so many years ago. 
Thank you Smee again, this was such fun!!
I tag Shinboo!! and Sarah(sorry she's private)!, and Bri
And anyone else who would like to continue on this journey!!

3 comments:

S'mee said...

wow, you're fast!

That house sounds amazing! The Fireman lived on a Brady Bunch street the few years before he married the Preschool Teacher, and yup, the house was just like you describe too! Hilarious, but so cool.

I love reading about the Christmas service too! That was kind of a kill *three* birds of service with one stone! Your service, others' service, service for everyone and then some! Awesome! Thanks for playing!

Trent & Lindz said...

Oh how I loved that house!!!! You described it so well. As I was reading it all these memories came flooding back! One I can distinctly remember is renting Curly Sue and watching that during one (of the many)sleep overs we had. And all the hand me downs I got from you guys! Oh how fun it was for Britt and I to "go shopping" as we would call it in your closet.
Thanks for the post. It was very fun and uplifting to read!

The Jones's said...

Thanks for your posts. I have enjoyed reading them as Joseph is keeping Isabella calm before she thinks it's time to nurse. Hope you are all doing well. :)