Friday, January 23, 2009

Reunion


These are my grandparents. The most beautiful people I have ever known. They raised nine daughters and one son. And those children in turn produced 55 children who are now way into the 20's producing children. We had a family reunion about 4 years ago and I was so excited to go. I was very pregnant with Ora but, happily... fat and happy! So we packed up and headed to St. George to have our fun. Then I got the flu. I spent the whole reunion in the hotel room and even a few hours in the hospital because I got so dehydrated I was having contractions. I could not believe I missed it. About a year ago I suggested we have another one. And the response I received was "If you plan it we will come." Once again sick and pregnant I kind of let it go. But, now here I am all ready to go again. I have a date, now a location, and invites have been made up. (I am having my mom approve them before  I send them out) Now I need to plan what we will do once all of us get there. 
In thinking about it. I have concluded that is would sure be a waist if we got together and did not talk about the savior and is eternal plan for the family. So I have settled on having a Family Home Evening one night and a talent show he next. But now what do I fill the two days with?? I have heard some suggestions for workshops and things but I am taking all advice..... 
HAVE YOU GOT ANY??

3 comments:

S'mee said...

I have to admit that for the one "planned" family reunion there *was* a planned schedule of events. Every minute was planned to the second, but when the family just relaxed and began to let go of the planned games, etc. the head planner got flustered and angry and insisted we all play this or do that.

Other times when the whole family has accidentally gotten together, and this just sat there unplanned, the family seemed to take care of events without problems. Someone went to the shed and grabbed a net for badminton, someone else to the garage and set up a croquet field. Teenagers gladly went to the market for chips, soda and krispy treats makings, and on and on.

My advise: Set a loose agenda of activities and plans, some games and such. Make assignments for food, maybe a tee shirt with a logo, find a friend to shoot a great photo or photos throughout the day, and then let it go. Or flow as the case may be. Our best memories have come when everyone was able to just wander and reminisce, play and do what they feel comfy with.

If you know someone who has time, this is a great template for a family book using the Family Proclamation. It's about $50.00 to produce, but if everyone went in together it might be a great gift for the grandparents.

http://www.legacydigitaldesign.com/Photobook/Proclamation/familyproclamation.html

Trent & Lindz said...

Oh man I am so excited! I love the talent show and FHE ideas! The talent show will be hilarious! And I really am loving the direction S'mee is going. I say a few board games or group games that we could bring to play together and have handy. I'll ask around though and see what ideas i can draw out of people who are much more creative than myself :)
I think it might be kinda fun to do something where we group people together ramdomly and have them come up with a skit or something. Something to get us mixed together with family that might not know each other as well.

Jamie said...

Games and LOTS of food! I have heard of some families doing a "survivor" type game over a few days with athletic type events. And then big prizes at the end. We could have a trophy (from DI or something) that gets passed even from one event to the next for the winner.
It also might be fun to have some major water-fight games etc...(if the reunion is in the summer).