Friday, July 31, 2009

Open letter from Paul Kruyer

This a letter from Paul Kruyer father of Iysha, he shared it with the local news when they asked to interview the family. You see, they had just done a story one week before on Annalee, the mommy, she is a local dentist. Here is the letter. Please pass it along to as many families as you know will listen and hear the words. 

Every summer a story about a child drowning would inevitably be aired on the evening news.  Every time, it would bring tears to my eyes & my heart would go out to "that poor unfortunate family".  I never believed it would happen to us.   We had too many rules in place for that to happen.  We watch our children too closely... until the one time you don't.  Because that is all it takes, once and our baby is taken away.  Years of daily vigilance are washed away in just four short minutes.  
For the last 24 hours, I have gone over and over the "if I had just" game.  I want someone to blame so that I can eventually forgive them.  It is harder to forgive yourself.  Because if I had just gotten home earlier, if I had warned the kids more, if we had moved already, if I had kept Iysha (eye sh uh) at the office one more year...  SHE would still be alive, brightening up each and every minute of my life.
I pray that the tragedy that has befallen my family does not happen to any other.  If one less child drowns because THEIR family has felt our grief and become just that much more vigilant... then witnessing our sorrow will be worth the hours, days and future years of heartache.  Friends and family all ask what they can do for me.  Everyone is willing and able to help.  But how do I answer that question, when I don't know what to do myself.  The future is all I have.  I want it to be a brighter one for my remaining 5 children.
Many of YOU have asked as well.  Our children are our future.  If you feel so inclined, rather than sending flowers, we are setting  up an education trust fund for our remaining 5 children.  The "Kruyer Children" trust fund will be set up at the Bank of America, Horizon Ridge Pkwy & Horizon Drive branch.  
thanks again for your kind words, prayers and heartfelt expressions of sympathy and love.
Paul Kruyer
 

2 comments:

Krissy said...

That is terribly sad. :( I agree that you never think it could happen to your family. I have two kids under 4 and I hardly think about those things. My condolences to them.

amess_22 said...

To the Kruyer family: I am one of the lead RN's that took care of your daughter. My heart goes out to you and your family. I want you to know I am LDS as well and when the call came in I prayed that the strength be in our hands to help your daughter. I could never imagine losing a child. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.