Tuesday, January 05, 2010

The Nameless

As I was reading for my lesson this week I came across a verse of scripture that I am sure I have read before. But, it has never hit me before. Abraham 1:11. 


11 Now, this priest had offered upon this altar three virgins at one time, who were the daughters of Onitah, one of the royal descent directly from the loins of aHam. These virgins were offered up because of their virtue; they would not bbow down to worship gods of wood or of stone, therefore they were killed upon this altar, and it was done after the manner of the Egyptians.

This scripture is smack dab in the middle of the Chapter in which Abraham is set to be sacrificed himself upon that very alter and he is saved by the Lord. I was reading through this chapter on my way to Abraham 3 for this weeks lesson. And was stopped dead in my tracks with this verse. My mind was flooded with questions. Who were these girls? What was their life like? What were their families thinking?  So I went looking, trying to find what I could. It was not much. They seem to truly be the nameless three.
We don't hear much about women in the scriptures. I like to believe that is because we are too precious to our Heavenly Father to bring up our names in just any form. So we hear about a few but not many. And these just briefly. But, I believe they were real girls. Valiant and honorable girls. Who gave up their lives to fulfill all righteousness. They stood up and died for what they believed in. They were steadfast and immovable. What courageous examples for our own daughters.  A few girls who we don't know anything about. But.... What I did find was this (joe got me the book 'Women of the Old Testament' for Christmas it's awesome) 
I looked up the name Onitah in the index and found a quote from Neal A. Maxwell He was comparing these girls to Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego "Matching those three men are three young women whose names we do not have. They are mentioned in the book of Abraham, remarkable young women about whom I am anxious to know more. They were actually sacrificed upon the alter because 'they would not bow down to worship [an idol] of wood or stone'. Some day the faithful will get  to meet them" 
I am hoping to teach my daughters that very thing. That if they can live up to these women we will be invited to meet them in the eternities.  What a terrific goal, each of us can get to know these brave girls who taught (at least me) so much to us in the one verse we know about them!

----P.S. I am hoping to make this more of a thing, to look up more of the nameless from the scriptures! Again no promises but, it would sure be fun.----

2 comments:

S'mee said...

This is going to be a great scripture year!

Kelly Stoddart said...

Wow I wish that you were my teacher when I was a teenager maybe I would have appreciated it more. I kind of wish that I could go to Sunday school this year, the Old testament is always something that you could have help with :)