Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A lesson in being prepared!

Yesterday all my troubles seemed so far away!! 


Then BAM flat tire on the freeway in a not so good part of town, and I got to learn a pretty valuable lesson. 
We left yesterday morning on a hunt. You see Ora was given a beautiful dress from my Aunt and Uncle and it just so happens it is perfect for Joe's sisters wedding. Only one small problem it did not fit. So we went out to costco early in the hopes to find the dress in the right size. NO go they were gone. I asked the customer service guy if there was any way he could tell me where I could find one and he said no, all of the dresses with that number were different. So even if another costco had one it may not be the right color for the wedding. There was one place that we may  have better luck. So off we went just a few miles away to see if we could find it. Only almost to our exit on the freeway the back drivers side tire blew. I called the insurance company and was able to get a guy to come change the tire only it was going to take about 45 minutes for him to arrive. To normal people this would be no big deal but, for a mother with four kids 6 and under it was going to be tricky. I had not packed snacks because I thought we would just eat at costco. It was lunch time. They were hungry. 
Then I remembered we had our 72 hour kits in the back of the car. We were saved. snacks, coloring books, crayons, water. Everything you would think we would need to make it through the next 45 minutes on the side of the freeway. And once again a snag.... When I opened the kits. everything had been packed a year ago. The fruit snacks were melted, the granola bars stale, and oh yeah, coloring books with no crayons. 
We did make it, my kids loved it actually. At least the fruit snacks part. They were gooey and yummy and in Michael's words "they do what gummy worms do" Ora on the other hand was not so pleased. She was very upset that she did not get to color. I also notices the clothes inside would not have fit any of my kids very well at all. 

(however we did find the dress)

LESSON LEARNED. 
Be better prepared! It may not be any huge disaster that finds you in need of your things it may just be a little one. 

3 comments:

A Sharing Heart said...

It is time I check out my kit. It has been 3 years since I have opened ours up. Thanks for the lesson - I will take the time to check my out.
I am sorry that you were stuck so long on the freeway. What a bummer.

Mandi Roth said...

Glad you found the dress. I think it's so important to be prepared. At least it was only 45 minutes or so.

Rachel said...

My dear, even though you warned me NOT to read this... you know I had to! This has been my LIFE up until canceling that wretched reception! After canceling it... I could sleep at night and function during the day.

I should have eloped.