Friday, November 06, 2009

For Six Years...

I have been a mom!!



And it all started with this guy!!

Michael is the best big brother this family could have asked for. The day he was born my mom took one look at him handed him to me and said "Wow, good luck with him" He was born an old, OLD soul, we could feel it. Everyone in the room knew this little guy had been waiting for a long time to be here on earth. And boy, oh boy did he prove it. For the next 8 months he screamed. He did not wait this long for a body to be stuck inside of something he could not control at all. He absolutely hated being a baby. It was the funniest thing to watch. At the time, it was the hardest thing I had ever done, looking back it is comical. He would scream and then I would move him to a new place in the house, and five minutes later he would scream. And I would move him yet again... No kidding, for 8 months! It went so far that one day I was delirious, so dang tired that I pulled out the vacuum because that was the only thing that would stop the crying except for me constantly holding him which I could not do anymore because my arms were throbbing. I turned it on ,he quieted and I put him in his swing. He did not cry and I sat on the couch. The next thing I remember I woke up because my house was full of smoke... Yes the vacuum had caught fire and was burning away in the corner of the room. And he was sleeping away in the corner. I got the fire stopped and the day went on. At 8 months he walked and the rest as they say is history.
Six years later, here we are a family of six with Michael as our big proud big brother. He brings an air of life to this family that we could not do without. He is tender and strong and takes such good care of his siblings. Last year for his birthday he wanted to learn to read. And this year I just had a parent teacher conference with his Kindergarten teacher and he is reading at a first grade level. I took him to the book fair after his conference, and he seriously picked out the dictionary!! I had to talk him into a spongebob book. Only after we got a dictionary, a human body book, and a book on the solar system. He is the coolest guy ever!! And now he is six years old. And next year he will, I am sure, be smarter than me. 

3 comments:

S'mee said...

Happy Birthday Michael! And happy celebration to mommy and the rest of the family! Michael sounds a lot like his grampa, and also his "searching for knowledge all the time" mom!

Cristen said...

SO ture SMEE! Of all of us I think Erin is the most like dad and her kids especially Michael is just like her!! You are the best mom and your kids are glad to have you, I am so sad that we do not live closer so that Michael can be an ecerday example to my kids! He is a good one! I love you and Him!

Marianne said...

I can't believe he's 6! I remember the vacuum day back at the condo. It seems so long ago.