Thursday, June 12, 2008

It's a jungle out there

So here is what I have been doing the last couple of weeks. I am starting to produce more and more of these rocking chairs so I thought I needed to finish the one I started for my own Son first. We have a favorite book we love to read together called "Just mommy and me" It is about a little boy who pretends he and his mom are monkeys and they spend the day in the forest together. Michael loves it, we read it and then pretend we are Monkeys all day long. I figured it would be fun to do his rocking chair based on the book. But, it turns out the fact that I have not ever taken an art class came into play more than I thought it would so we did most of the chair in a jungle theme and the rest we just kind of played with. 

These are the outside pieces, front and back. sides

This is a picture of the back and the seat. The Rhino and orange snake was the original back of the chair that I decided was not good enough so I redid it.  MIchael has a cousin who we recently learned likes chamo. so we decided to put a piece of Tanner on the back of the chair. The Key matches the shorts of the monkey from the book. These rocking chairs are so fun, My kids love to take them apart and put them together again. I am no Smee but, I think it was well worth the effort. 


11 comments:

randomjane said...

Well, with a little more time at the brush, you could take her place someday! What a great chair! Did yo buy the pieces or cut them yourself?

Alison Wonderland said...

It comes apart!?! That's awesome! Where did you get it?

Brianna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brianna said...

Very Cute!!! You need to sale them, I bet you would do very well with that

Trent & Lindz said...

Those chairs turned out great! How cute! Hey I came across this blog while stalking one day and thought you would really like to read this womans birth story. She had her son at home in her bath tub and without a midwife! She had a midwife but the baby came too fast for her to get there so she had the baby pretty much on her own with her husband and close family and friends near by. Anyway, I thought you'd enjoy reading this womans experince. Love you! http://oneilies.blogspot.com/

The Pea said...

Wow What a fun day so many comments!
- FYI - It's like a puzzle you can take it apart and put together all you want. My Grandfather is teaching me how to cut the pieces. And my plan is to sell them. I found the chair at a garage sale but I was little, like for a doll, so I enlarged it and made a bunch for nieces and nephews then for my own kids. Now I am just waiting to buy my own saw so I can produce them form home. Grandpa is in S. George.

S'mee said...

Holy Cow! These will sell great. I love love love the graphics, heck you could do a whole chair in just your lines and dots and it would be great! I think your kids are pretty darn lucky!

Robyn said...

too cute! These will do great!

Lisa M. said...

Where do you people come up with this stuff? MY Heavens, what a great and beautiful idea~?

I've had sets of these chairs for years for my kids, that have long been locked away in the closet.

THEY WERE NEVER EVEN PAINTED

What a fantastic and brilliant display of colour.

You go girl!

Sally said...

Super cute! What a fun thing for you and Michael. I know he will treasure it, and the memories of painting it with you. How fun!

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! What a great project, very entertaining for kids and mom.